PaCIC and Homeland Security Internship Program
The Pennsylvania Criminal Intelligence Center (PaCIC) is the state’s primary fusion center. PaCIC was established by the Pennsylvania State Police (PSP), Bureau of Criminal Investigation (BCI), to facilitate the sharing of information across all levels of law enforcement. PaCIC collects and analyzes information from a variety of sources and provides stakeholders with actionable intelligence and investigative support. PaCIC analysts assist local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies in enhancing public safety and protecting critical infrastructure from terrorism and other crime.
The Pennsylvania Governor’s Office of Homeland Security works with federal, state, and local government agencies, regional task forces, educational institutions, professional organizations and associations, non-governmental organizations, the private sector, and other community-based organizations to build the capabilities necessary to prevent, protect against, and mitigate the effects of adversarial actions, which threaten the health, safety, and security of the citizens of the Commonwealth.
The PaCIC and the Office of Homeland Security may offer internships to a select group of applicants during spring, summer and fall. These are full-time, unpaid internships located in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. Postings will be found online at employment.pa.gov. When available, direct links to internship opportunities will appear on this page.
- Applicants must be enrolled in an accredited bachelor’s degree program (or higher) in criminal justice, criminology, homeland security, or a closely related field
- Applicants shall have satisfactorily completed 60 college credits
- Applicants shall have no adult criminal conviction graded Misdemeanor 2 or higher under PA Title 18
Eligible applicants may apply online at employment.pa.gov. Application supplements must include the applicant’s resume, current transcript, and a cover letter addressed to the Human Resources Manager, Public Safety Human Resources Delivery Center, that describes why the internship is desired and future career plans.
The PaCIC and Homeland Security Intern will:
- Gain a basic understanding of the mission and organizational structure of PSP’s BCl & PaCIC
- Observe, experience, and understand the role of criminal and counterterrorism intelligence and its impact on law enforcement
- Assist intelligence analysts with support duties including cellphone mapping, creating timelines, and creating association charts
- Gain understanding of how field members obtain information and provide raw data to the fusion center, and then how analysts provide actionable intelligence to the field
- Those with GIS backgrounds are encouraged to apply
- Assist in the preparation of homeland security and emergency preparedness training events
- Assist with development, preparation, and execution of the tabletop exercises
- Assist with cybersecurity activities, including training and exercise initiatives
- Research cybersecurity and infrastructure security programs and public and private sector preparedness initiatives
- Conduct open-source research on cybersecurity and physical security threats and vulnerabilities
- Provide support for the Homeland Security Grant Program and State Administrative Agency reporting requirements
- Assist with critical infrastructure protection activities